Monday, December 29, 2008

Writing vs. Acting: Is there a difference?

Hello world!
I stumbled across someone's blog today, an aspiring actor, who is detailing his successes and tribulations in pursing his dream. To be honest, I read it and felt like I wasn't the only one. There are many similarities that can be drawn between acting and writing, and as I began to analyze what they were, I understood that chasing your dream is hard!

I think the greatest difficulty is finding your way in...trouble is... getting someone interested enough to outline a door. With two such creatively depended careers it seems that not only does one have to understand the fundamentals of each, but also re-invent themselves or their work so that it is individual!

I get him. Unlike him however, I didn't always want to be writer. I experience the classic, "I wanna be a doctor" to the always expected "I wanna be a lawyer." Oh the glory days, when what you wanted to be seemed a lifetime away and the world was yours to discover. Sometimes I think we are all mislead when we are young... I should have just said I wanted to be an apple... juicy, sweet and organic! (seems simple enough).

i didn't always write... but I always wondered. Not about all things but about people and the experience which decipher a specific character. I always wonder why? Why is he like this? Why did she do that? I'd observe and imagine what could have happened. Language, both verbal and physical, intrigue me because they can be so revealing. I don't mean to be so nosy... but if someone sits in silence I want to know why... what happened?

Then you can see now, why reading his blog or anyone else's blog intrigues me so! I feel like I understand, and that maybe I wouldn't seem so obnoxious and ignorant - unaware of others.

Writing reveals so much about a person, but just like acting it can be hidden behind fiction... a character's part you must act. It is an intertwining dream of trying to understand reality.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Writing i think is a form of art and like many other artists out there it is very difficult to make a living from it.
Sometimes it's a matter of luck. Carlos Castaneda for example was not a writer, he was an anthropology student at the UCLA university in CA, he did some field work on native indians in the late 60s and then published his first book in 1968 which he thought to be a waste of paper, yet, because of the drug revolution the public took his book to be the new age bible and that made him rich/famous.

Years later when he wrote 9 more books it became obvious to his readers that he was evolving as he was writing as so it was self-explanatory to discard his first couple of his books because they were interpretations of an academy student rather than actual relevant accounts. His true accounts started showing from the 5th book and onward when he was graduated, but the literary world never bothered examining his books closely, they read his first 3 and quickly put a label on him, so until today he's known as the trickester, a liar, his works are classified as fiction at numerous public libraries in the world without truly knowing him, or wanting to know, and that's the sad face of the literary world, where you pour your soul onto a piece of paper, you may or may not score, and the public may or may not understand you, unless you write novels that sell $1.99 at the thrift store.

To write about what you feel and percieve is one thing but to try and please the reading public at the same time is whole other story.